If you live in or around the New York City area, you're probably well aware of the fact that accidents happen in the Big Apple on a daily basis. While people mostly hear about motor vehicle, cycle, and pedestrian accidents, indoor trip and fall accidents also occur frequently and can be every bit as dangerous.
Even if you do your best to remain safe, it goes without saying that you can't watch every step you take. For this reason, if you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time, it is easier than you might thing to trip, fall, and suffer a serious injury that alters your life now and in the future.
The primary causes
There are many reasons why these accidents happen, including but not limited to:
- Property owner failure to provide a warning that floors are wet or slick from the use of cleaning products.
- The use of too much polish or wax on hard surface floors, thus increasing the likelihood that someone may slip.
- Applying polish or wax in an uneven manner.
- Neglecting to use non-skid material where necessary, such as an entrance in which water can accumulate.
- Carpet that is pulled up from the floor, thus creating a trip hazard.
- Worn down stairs, such as those that are rounded due to many years of use.
- A broken or missing handrail.
All of these things can lead to a trip and fall accident. While some people are able to brace themselves for the fall, others are not nearly so lucky. Instead, since they didn't see the accident coming, they end up falling to the ground in an awkward manner, which can lead to serious injury or even death.
If you find yourself injured in a trip and fall accident, you need to do a few things.
First off, your health is priority number one. Make sure you call for an ambulance as soon as possible.
Secondly, make note of what happened. Along with this, don't hesitate to take pictures if you are well enough to do so.
By taking the right steps after an accident, you'll find it easier to file a claim and collect compensation if this is the route you decide to take in the future.